Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Listening


Hello!

I am new to this kind of blogging, but I am excited about this blog because I think it can become a place for learning how to listen to the stories told by native peoples in their songs.

I also think it can serve as a place for people who love music and want to engage in songs as what Kimberli Lee calls "active sites." For me, songs (re) make history and create reality, they speak to our bodies and our minds. Peter LaFarge wrote a song called "Drums" and in it, he sings:

And There Are Drums Beyond The Mountain Indian Drums That You Can't Hear
There Are Drums Beyond The Mountain And They're Getting Mighty Near


I'm still figuring out what it means to be able to hear those drums--the responsibility that is encoded and embedded in our bodies as they respond, knowingly, to them. What I think I'm beginning to see is that those drums evoke embodied memories that have cultural significance. They mean something unique to the communities--to the bodies--that understand and respond to them. These drums have the power to (re)unite people, restore community, and heal broken and wounded bodies.

Thanks for reading,
Gabi





1 comment:

  1. Your point about music evoking a physical response is well-made--it's something I struggle with when I try to talk/write about music. How do I put into words something that I *feel* so viscerally? I look forward to seeing what you and Natasha write!

    ReplyDelete