Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Derek Miller: Music and Performance

This first post is an experiment of sorts. I'm not quite sure how well I do at articulating my reactions to music, or describing it in ways that are useful to the reader, but I'm going to try.



So who is Derek Miller? He's a guitarist, singer and songwriter born in Mohawk Territory in the Six Nations of the Grand River in Ontario. His music, is, in my opinion, a bluesy-rock type genre where he mixes the two together.



I haven't seen Derek Miller live, which I'm positive would be a dynamic show, but I've watched some fan posted videos found over on YouTube through a search and am impressed by his ability to engage the audience.

What really struck me about the YouTube videos, regarding audience interaction with Derek Miller, was the "comfort level." It seems to me, as a current outsider (having never attended a show), that fan interaction at Derek Miller's concerts (or ones that he's a performer at) is quite high. In fact, at one concert (embedded above) a fan yells out the songs that they want to hear and Derek plays them. Such interactions are few I would assume, having never seen anything like that at a concert myself. For me, it's pretty amazing to be able to have a hand in the show I go to see, so it must feel good for his audience to know that he cares about what they want to hear him play...and that he'll actually do it (at least in this one instance!)

Another thing about Derek Miller that strikes a chord with me (haha bad joke) is his guitar playing abilities. There are few people (Eric Clapton and Jimi Hendrix are the ones who come to mind) that really amaze me when they play guitar and he is one of them.

Finally, Derek's personality is one that's encouraging for anyone interested in his music.



It's interesting to see how accessible he seems and how humble. For me, someone just getting started in exploring native music, it's encouraging.
He explains in the interview around the 5:00 mark about helping become a role model for children and "not a false idol."
He also is willing to admit to hardships he's encountered in his life like drug and alcohol addiction and overcoming it: "I wanted to be the best that I can be and my people and ancestors are stronger than any drugs or alcohol."

No comments:

Post a Comment